Friday, July 13, 2012

The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (1991) - Psychedelic, Alternative Rock, 1990's


The Smashing Pumpkins, unlike their grunge neighbors of the time, were diverse in the way they projected music. They used elements of 1960's rock, including psychedelic and also fused those elements with the elements of alternative rock of the time. They weren't exactly a "grunge band" and weren't labeled as one really, but they sure did sound like one at times. And many grunge lovers loved The Smashing Pumpkins for their dirty feedback, catchy guitar riffs and poppy lyrics.

Billy Corgan is the creative force in the band and strives and shines in "Gish", the band's debut album. Released before "Nevermind", "Gish" paved the way for many artists of the 90s as well as today, much like Nirvana did with grunge.

The Smashing Pumpkins most always take the "soft-loud-soft" approach on their albums and start "Gish" off with a hard rock number, "I Am One" and "Siva" and transform into dream pop with "Rhinoceros", which quickly gains back its heavy, loud feel by the end of the song and into "Bury Me".

Corgan's vocals are very unique and unlike anything that I've personally ever heard. D'arcy, the band's former bassist, said it best in a 2009 interview on Chicago radio, his voice is very unique, and different, but spectacular.

"Crush" (And this feeling shivers down your spine/Love comes in colors I can't deny) and "Suffer" have the same vibe throughout, very mellow and throat cuttingly deep.

"Snail" starts off slow but works its way up and soon takes us into "Tristessa", another hard rock song that has a catchy guitar riff with awesome vocals by Corgan.

"Window Paine", much like "Snail", starts slow and works it way up. And the solo Corgan sings in the middle of the song, is extremely amazing and sends chills up your spine.

"Daydream" is my favorite track on "Gish". Sung by Pumpkins bassist, D'arcy, the song is painfully deep but utterly amazing. And even includes a cello and violin section, which adds icing to this already delicious cake. This song gives you a glimpse of what The Smashing Pumpkins will do in the future with songs such as "Disarm" and "Tonight, Tonight".

A few seconds after "Daydream", a 1 minute hidden song entitled, "I'm Going Crazy", which according to Billy, was written in a matter of 5 minutes and captures a picture perfect essence of what exactly will be next for the Pumpkins once it ends.

"Gish" should not be passed up and, for new fans, should be the first Pumpkins album to look into, to understand how the band developed and morphed as they worked their way into "Siamese Dream", "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness", and future albums ahead.
The Smashing Pumpkins is a unique band and is an essential band that paved the way for 90s rock.**

Album rating: 9.0

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tyler, I'm digging the blog, and this is exactly the type of artists I promote (alternative rock, etc). I'd love to send a few of my best artists for review consideration, and I'm also happy to cross-promote. You can reach me at james@independentmusicpromotions.com. Looking forward to it!

    Have you heard the new Pumpkins "Pisces Iscariot" reissue yet?

    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your positive comments! Would love to hear from you. And I will for sure get in contact with you soon!
      And as for the reissue. I'm actually a relatively new Pumpkins fan. I started working my way up from Gish all the way up to their recent stuff. So I recently purchased the first pressings of "Gish", "Siamese Dream", "Mellon Collie" and just yesterday I received "Pisces Iscariot", the first pressing in the mail, I got dirt cheap online, less than $3!
      So far, I'm enjoying it and I'm considering getting the reissues. The demos and unreleased tracks are appealing me a lot because the Pumpkins are so diverse with their music. And the vinyl versions are definitely getting my attention as I'm a huge fan of vinyl!
      Thanks again for your comment, I appreciate it! And I will contact you very soon!

      Delete